Full-Time Test Dev. Engineer-Engine Test Cell
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
A world leader in industrial research and development, Corning staunchly believes in change. We thrive on seeking new opportunities to make a difference for mankind and bringing them to life.
Our dedicated scientists conduct their research with the highest integrity, finely tuned processes and superb skill. Breakthroughs occur when our researchers leverage existing technologies across product lines or come as the result of a profound moment of inspiration or even as an unexpected, experimental outcome. That is when research is at its most exciting.
We do everything possible to sustain our culture of innovation. We continually invest in research and development to provide our scientists with the resources they need. This has enabled our scientific community to develop a unique ability to solve complex problems and maintain a keen focus on things that really matter — technologies that improve our lives and change our world.
R&D is the foundation on which Corning’s history has been built, and we have no doubt it will lead us to future technological triumphs.
To know more about Corning’s Science and Technology division, please visit the R&D website at:
Scope of Position:
Engineering position to develop and implement test methods and solutions for a fast-paced, highly-technical engine exhaust after-treatment testing facility. Primary responsibilities include testing, test development, and equipment & facility maintenance/troubleshooting in support of development and application of engine exhaust after-treatment products at the Engine Test Cell. Focus will be on fundamental product understanding, operational execution, results analysis, and maintenance of engine/dyno test bed and related test equipment to produce data sets for the business. Assistance in scheduling, test planning, and system troubleshooting support are additional responsibilities.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Operation & oversight of test cell and related areas in order to meet testing objectives.
• Hands-on testing support for test requestors and programs in test cell, lab, and vehicle to characterize new after-treatment product introductions for Corning Incorporated:
• Developing tests and test protocols to evaluate product attributes/fundamentals and performance focused on: gas and particulate emissions; regulated & non-regulated emissions cycles; hydrodynamic, thermo-mechanical, and filtration performance; catalyst performance; and system application evaluation.
• Monitoring of test bench and facility control data to ensure testing repeatability. Interpret data for use in troubleshooting. Ability to detect and troubleshoot test bench performance variation, recognizing if problem is electrical, sensor, actuator, fuel, pre/post-combustion, or internal hardware components.
• Use of computer development tools including INCA, CANape, PUMA, C#, PLC and associated data formats.
• Collect and interpret assigned test requests into daily run plans and checklists that can be used among all operations staff in executing successful tests.
• Execute data analysis at the raw data/root level. Create analysis templates that can be used during testing to give results and determine overall quality of completed tests. Use results to determine next steps and communicate results back to customer.
• Prepare, present, and publish technical documentation in internal & public forums to advance personal technical reputation and Corning Incorporated.
Travel Requirements: Limited: <10%
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 40+ hours a week including off-hour support when required based on 24/7 facility operating schedule. 12hr shifts (7-7 am/pm), alternating 3-4 days per week with 1 day weekend requirement while learning/supporting core test operations.
• 4-yr B.S. Technical Degree – Mechanical / Electrical / Chemical Engineering or related discipline
• 2 years+ of experience in testing or related field (preferred)
• Required Years and Area of Experience: 2+ yrs. experience in testing or related field (preferred)
• Knowledge of after-treatment (substrate & particulate filter) products and system application requirements.
• Able to make sound decisions by blending analytical thinking with practical judgment.
• Independent problem solving skills.
• Operational skills to execute hands-on mechanical, electrical solutions & calibration procedures in an engine test cell environment.
• Organized, rigorous, independent.
• Strong experimental, instrumentation, and control skills to insure data is valid and traceable.
• Data analysis skills to insure data is correct at the collection point. Ability to make data driven decisions in support of test development/direction.
• Technically well rounded (fundamental, analytical, hands-on, and practical).
• Strong computer skills (MatLab, Excel, PowerPoint).
• Desired Skills:
• Understanding of internal combustion engines, engine management, and engine after-treatment products/systems.
• Hands-on experimental skills and experience with engine/emissions systems.
• Familiarity with engine & engine dynamometer calibration & control.
• Familiarity with gaseous and particulate emissions analysis and associated equipment.
• Technical curiosity in the field of engine and emissions reduction technology.
• Rigor in experimental execution and analysis.
• Scheduling and test planning skills.
• Advanced programming, design, and/or programming skills (Visual Basic, C#, .NET, CAD, Ladder Logic)
• Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
• Good teamwork skills including knowledge transfer and communication (oral and written).
• Work experience in a matrix organization.
How to ApplyApply online at: https://careers.corning.com/psp/PDPAHRPRER/CNG_MYCAREER_SITE/PDGLHRPRER/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&JobOpeningId=175880&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1
126 total views, 1 today
Apply for this Job
For help with the Job Action Bar above click here
Back to Listings