Full-Time Systems Design Engineer
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
For almost three decades, Corning Environmental Technologies has developed creative, highly effective emission control solutions for mobile and stationary sources around the world. We joined the campaign for cleaner air in the early 1970s, when we developed high-performance, cost-effective cellular ceramic substrates for use in catalytic converters. Our invention has become the industry standard for more than 95% of today’s catalytic catalytic-converter equipped vehicles. Today, we hold more than 200 patents on emission-control products and processes used in gasoline, diesel and alternative-fuel vehicles, as well as stationary applications.
To know more about Corning Environmental Technologies, visit us at:
Scope of Position:
The functional requirements on emissions components are getting increasingly more complex. Therefore characterizing the product performance as well as integrating products into the application is much more essential for future optimized system solutions.
The role of the Design and Testing Engineer is to lead design efforts and execute test programs with an emphasis on on-engine and on-vehicle experimentation. The responsibilities include, design proposals, the development of tests and test plans, align preparations and characterization of test samples, managing the execution of the test and analyzing and interpreting the results and communicating to customers. Furthermore the Design and Testing Engineer will develop strategy incl. control and modeling tools and the required tests to validate and calibrate them and utilize them for the design of system based solutions. The typical performance aspects evaluated are pressure drop & filtration performance, emissions, thermal behavior (incl. regeneration behavior and survivability and durability (operating window)).
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Contact with customer to understand requirements
• Develop design proposals (system perspective) w/ Corning products
• Discuss proposal with customer
Test planning and development
• Design test and test approaches for product and system evaluation
• Understand testing objectives and provide input for the testing approach to the organization (Development, engineering, commercial)
• Develop detailed test plan and communicate with testing facility
Test execution (lab, dyno and engine) to ensure proper execution of the test
• Track samples throughout test and ensure sufficient pre and post-test characterization
• Ensure implementation of proper test methods
• Check data for quality
• Track testing closely and provide quick feedback (within 1-2 days) to steer testing in the right direction
• Focus on details and make critical observations to set new directions in projects
• Troubleshooting of upcoming testing issues
• Ability to supervise/execute engine dyno tests incl. troubleshooting of infrastructure and related equipment
Data analysis and interpretation
• Analyze raw testing data, as well as product characterization results (Dp, FE, properties, geometry)
• Check data for consistency
• Verify experimental observations based on first principles and physical models
• Link performance related aspects to product characteristics/attributes and/or surrogate measures
• Summarize results in reports and presentation and disseminate information within organization and to
• Develop tools, processes and test sequences to accurately and repeatedly measure PM/PN emissions
• Develop tools and strategies to easily implement our products in the application of our customers
• Develop models and tools to describe the performance of our products
• Travel Requirements: Travel (mostly NA) up to 20-25%
• Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: M-Fri 8-5pm and overtime as needed.
Required Education: MS or PhD in Mechanical Engineering or Chemical engineering
Required Years and Area of Experience: 2-3 years’ experience in after treatment design & testing desired
• Good understanding of chemical engineering fundamentals (fluid flow/hydrodynamics, heat transfer, kinetics, reactions)
• Rigor in experimental planning and execution as well as data analysis
• Development and assessment of experimental procedures/plans
• Ability to quickly understand complex testing systems (engines, dynos, emissions benches)
• Familiarity with data analysis & management
• Good computer skills including the use of advanced analysis tools (e.g. Matlab) are data processing capability (w/ Excel/Matlab) and documentation/reporting of results good computer skills (esp. MS office)
• Customer communication skills
• Essential understanding of internal combustion engines, emissions and after treatment, including the test methods
• Industry experience and contacts in the area of PM/PN measurements
• Ability to work on a system level
• Hands-on experimental skills and experience with engine/emissions systems experimentation.
• Project management skills
Technical leadership skills/Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
• Good communication skills with third party vendors/customer
• Ability to work self-efficient
• Ability to work in a team environment, including good interpersonal skills
How to ApplyApply online at: https://careers.corning.com/psp/PDPAHRPRER/CNG_MYCAREER_SITE/PDGLHRPRER/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&JobOpeningId=172331&SiteId=22&PostingSeq=1
121 total views, 1 today
Apply for this Job
For help with the Job Action Bar above click here
Back to Listings