Full-Time Research Scientist- Reliability
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
A world leader in industrial research and development, Corning staunchly believes in change. We thrive on seeking new opportunities to make a difference for mankind and bringing them to life.
Our dedicated scientists conduct their research with the highest integrity, finely tuned processes and superb skill. Breakthroughs occur when our researchers leverage existing technologies across product lines or come as the result of a profound moment of inspiration or even as an unexpected, experimental outcome. That is when research is at its most exciting.
We do everything possible to sustain our culture of innovation. We continually invest in research and development to provide our scientists with the resources they need. This has enabled our scientific community to develop a unique ability to solve complex problems and maintain a keen focus on things that really matter — technologies that improve our lives and change our world.
R&D is the foundation on which Corning’s history has been built, and we have no doubt it will lead us to future technological triumphs.
To know more about Corning’s Science and Technology division, please visit the R&D website at:
Scope of Position:
• Primary function is to serve as a lead reliability scientist for new product projects. In this role, this person will lead new projects in assessing material options, product designs and manufacturing processes to identify technical challenges & unique failure modes for the purpose of ensuring new products meet performance requirements related to reliability. The person will facilitate the team in identifying potential failure modes and lead experimentation to resolve the challenges identified and to capture new intellectual property.
• Emphasis is on, but not limited to, mechanical reliability performance.
• The successful candidate will be comfortable in working with technical product development groups, research scientists and engineering. Providing presentations to upper management may often be required.
• The role of this individual is to serve as a technical expert in mechanical properties and/or material science as well as having a strong understanding of reliability principles and will interface with numerous project groups.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
Collaborate with independent new product projects to:
• identify potential critical challenges and failure modes – includes team facilitation to identify risks
• identify the proper testing methods & develop new methods if needed to evaluate the risks
• develop & manage testing plans
• conduct experiments to gain fundamental knowledge to address the technical challenges
• perform data analysis and interpretation
• make recommendations to projects to improve functional performance and reliability
• develop new intellectual property
Travel Requirements: <15%
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
• 40+ hours per week w/ flex time
• At least a Masters in materials science/engineering or mechanical engineering
Required Years and Area of Experience:
• Minimum 5 years of post-graduate school experience
• Technical matter expert in area of glass/brittle material fracture mechanics and strength
• Laboratory experience with the equipment and test methods used in materials testing, particularly strength and fracture testing
• Ability to work across organizational boundaries from research to manufacturing
• Ability to define DOEs and perform statistical analyses
• Familiarity with Fractography of brittle materials
• Familiarity with reliability engineering concepts
• Strong communication skills and comfort in facilitation of technical personnel
• FEA modeling experience
• Predictive life modeling, FMEA, QFD &Fault Tree Analysis experience.
• 6-Sigma black belt training
• Industry experience
• Customer facing interaction and communication skills/experience
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
• Excellent communication and presentation skills, ranging from communicating with teams, management to sophisticated outside customers.
• Strong facilitation skills to enable leading of teams through ambiguous evaluations.
• Experience working in small to medium sized cross-functional technical teams
• Comfortable with a hands-on approach to problem solving
• Team player
How to ApplyApply online at: https://careers.corning.com/psp/PDPAHRPRER/CNG_MYCAREER_SITE/PDGLHRPRER/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&JobOpeningId=175810&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1
200 total views, 1 today
Apply for this Job
For help with the Job Action Bar above click here
Back to Listings