Full-Time Measurements/Inspection Development Engineer
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
A world leader in industrial research and development, Corning staunchly believes in change. We thrive on seeking new opportunities to make a difference for mankind and bringing them to life.
Our dedicated scientists conduct their research with the highest integrity, finely tuned processes and superb skill. Breakthroughs occur when our researchers leverage existing technologies across product lines or come as the result of a profound moment of inspiration or even as an unexpected, experimental outcome. That is when research is at its most exciting.
We do everything possible to sustain our culture of innovation. We continually invest in research and development to provide our scientists with the resources they need. This has enabled our scientific community to develop a unique ability to solve complex problems and maintain a keen focus on things that really matter technologies that improve our lives and change our world.
R&D is the foundation on which Corning’s history has been built, and we have no doubt it will lead us to future technological triumphs.
To know more about Corning’s Science and Technology division, please visit the R&D website at: http://www.corning.com/r_d/index.aspx
Scope of Position:
• Hands-on technical expert of optical metrology and inspection systems.
• Technical “go-to” person for metrology and inspection questions.
• Works within cross functional teams to develop and transfer new inspection systems and processes to manufacturing.
• Designs experiments and test plans to measure and validate system performance against industry standards and to quantify system capability against requirements.
• Works within a larger team leveraging external suppliers and machine builders to support medium to large sized capital projects in support of division objectives.
• Applies sound engineering principles to solve complex non-contact measurement and inspection challenges.
• Owner of metrology and inspection equipment requirements.
• Works closely with industry leading suppliers and Corning’s development and research teams.
• Provides manufacturing support on an as needed basis.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• The division “go-to” subject matter expert for inspection and metrology measurements.
• Integrates 3rd party instruments into existing manufacturing systems.
• Champions change management as it relates to inspection and metrology technology in manufacturing following all GAMP (Good Automated Manufacturing Practice) requirements.
• Manages the transfer of early stage technology from development to manufacturing.
• Designs and executes experiments and validation tests to demonstrate system performance against functional requirements and industry standards.
• Provides subject matter expertise to project engineers, plant engineers, and vendor teams as it relates to metrology and inspection.
Travel Requirements: 25% possible, including international.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 40+ hours, Monday – Friday; weekend support as required to support objectives.
Required Education: B.S. – M.S. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or equivalent.
• Measurement systems integration design and implementation experience.
• Multidiscipline engineer with experience with vision systems in manufacturing.
• Ability to troubleshoot complex electro-mechanical systems.
• Brings the “Can-do” attitude even when supporting vague or loosely defined objectives.
• High level of ownership and commitment to drive problem resolution.
• Has a broad technological background and is not rattled easily when things don’t go as planned.
• Willingness to travel to vendor and plant sites for equipment check out, installation, training, validation, and troubleshooting.
• Ability to communicate technical content to a diverse audience.
• Vision system expertise (Halcon, Matrox Inspector, NI Vision, or Matlab image processing toolbox):
• Application of vision tools for the inspection of transparent “clear” glass.
• Piece dimensioning and metrology of glass.
• High speed inspection and part handling.
• MS Visual Studio application development skills (Visual Basic.NET or C#).
• Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
• Broad understanding of different illumination and imaging technologies for inspection “transparent” glass objects.
• Experience using different optical measurement technologies with their standard calibration, and test methods.
• Experienced designing industrialized machine vision solutions for hot dirty environments.
• Software skills for support of vision system application development and data management needs.
• Familiarity with PLC systems such as Rockwell Automation, Mitsubishi, or Siemens software.
• Works independently.
• Strong technical curiosity.
• Not afraid to work outside of your comfort zone.
• Uses illustrations well to communicate across technical and cultural boundaries.
• Can work in a diverse office and manufacturing environment across multiple cultural boundaries.
• Can multi-task and change direction or focus as needed to support a new youthful business.
How to ApplyApply Online: https://careers.corning.com/psp/PDPAHRPRER/CNG_MYCAREER_SITE/PDGLHRPRER/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&JobOpeningId=175479&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1 (Copy & Paste the above link in a new page to apply for this job)
128 total views, 1 today
Apply for this Job
For help with the Job Action Bar above click here
Back to Listings