Full-Time Materials Engineer – Mechanical Properties
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning’s Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Scope of Position:
Apply ceramic & materials science engineering fundamental principles to solve the deep technical challenges primarily related to glass and ceramics manufacturing. This corporate engineering role serves all existing businesses, with typical project assignments lasting 6 months to 2 years, and ranging from initial research projects through stage 5 manufacturing support. The organization serves a flexible base of resources and knowledge which facilitates rapid solution development and emphasizes strong technical competence. Serve as a material expert with interactions including raw materials, suppliers, fabrication, research, development, and manufacturing.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Understand material properties and impact on Corning’s products and processes.
• Drive root cause understanding to improve yield, extend asset life, reduce costs, improve product attributes and enable new products.
• Develop laboratory testing regimen and process simulations to extend knowledge base and prove/disprove hypotheses.
• Work with department laboratory staff to ensure optimal turnaround and experimental efficiency.
• Protect Corning’s intellectual property by filing invention disclosures for patent application in timely fashion.
• Document all project findings in internal, structured reports.
• Maintain high quality engineering principles, including extensive use of statistics, structured problem solving methods such as KT, DoE, and DMAICDMAIC six sigma tools.
• Measure and communicate performance against objectives.
Travel Requirements: up to 25%
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: Flex time; typical 8:00 – 5:00; Monday – Friday. Some projects may require additional hours.
Required Education: MS or PhD in Materials Engineering, Ceramics or Glass Science
• Deep technical background in materials processing and evaluation.
• Experience with mechanical properties of brittle materials.
• Strong laboratory experience, hands on preferred.
• Ability to assimilate quickly and produce valuable results.
• Strong supporter and user of existing literature to facilitate learning – journals, conferences etc.
• Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with customers, suppliers and co-workers.
• Problem solving skills-cut all the noise out and rapidly hone in on root cause.
• Glass, refractory, process engineering basics,
• Project management
• Statistics, data analysis, design of experiments
• Able to work independently
• Sense of urgency
• Results oriented
• Positive attitude
• Flexible and adaptable
• Open and approachable
How to ApplyApply online at: https://careers.corning.com/psp/PDPAHRPRER/CNG_MYCAREER_SITE/PDGLHRPRER/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&JobOpeningId=175618&SiteId=22&PostingSeq=1 (Copy & Paste the above link in a new page to apply for this job)
135 total views, 2 today
Apply for this Job
For help with the Job Action Bar above click here
Back to Listings