Full-Time Manufacturing Engineer- Ceramic Machining Specialist
Rolls-Royce, a world-leading provider of power systems and services for use on land, at sea and in the air, operates in four global markets – civil aerospace, defense aerospace, marine and energy. We continue to invest in core technologies, products, people and capabilities with the objective of broadening and strengthening the product portfolio, improving efficiency and enhancing the environmental performance of its products.
Turbines is one of the Supply Chain Units and has a presence in the UK on the Bristol, Derby and Ansty sites and globally with Engineering functions in Dahlewitz and Indianapolis as well as three successful manufacturing Joint Ventures in the UK, Italy and China. Turbines are committed to establishing itself as the benchmark provider of Turbine Systems solutions and are responsible for the sub-system design, component and manufacturing definition, the manufacture and delivery of turbine components.
A challenging and rewarding opportunity has arisen for a Manufacturing Engineer for Ceramic Matrix Composites (CMC) manufacturing for Turbines.
This is a key capability acquisition role in the Turbine’s business as technologies implemented through this role deliver significant engine performance benefits. The role will focus on the development and industrialization of the machining processes required for ceramic matrix composites. This will include all aspects of manufacturing engineering associated with developing and establishing a new facility; from benchmarking existing processes through to development, acquisition and implementation of capital equipment. This person must possess a deep understanding of ceramic machining processes and a proven ability to influence key decisions.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in a growing business as part of a dynamic integrated product team to deliver ceramic composite technology to Rolls-Royce globally across all business units.
The Manufacturing Engineer for Ceramic Matrix Composites will have the following key accountabilities:
• Analyzing technical problems and exercise professional judgment. Provide concise justification for decisions & record salient information. Objectively assess quality of advice & decisions once facts are established
• Defining Best Practice based on a wide understanding of internal and external practices
• Representing the area of responsibility as the authority in the defined subject
• Defining skill and professional knowledge requirements to support the area of specialism. Identify, co-ordinate & deliver appropriate training to satisfy skill and knowledge requirements
• Pro-actively access internal and external networks of fellow specialists to further understanding of the specialist subject
• Leading the development of specific capabilities by defining capability needs, creating proposals & achieving stakeholder approval, acquiring funding and partner support
• Understanding and benchmarking existing manufacturing processes, identify opportunities for improvement, develop a long term improvement plan and implement solutions per the plan
• Validating and verification of manufacturing methods
• Developing, acquire as required and implement manufacturing technologies – including technical control, technical documentation, and methods of manufacture
• Inventing and develop manufacturing processes and solutions that create extraordinary products operating in “mission critical” environments
• Application and use of the Manufacturing Capability Acquisition (MCA) gated process
• Establishing and documenting test methodologies for the demonstration of manufacturing capability and acceptance of machine tools
• Supporting equipment procurement activity including the definition and facilitation through the central procurement organization
• Engaging Suppliers, Rolls-Royce experts and Operators to ensure all equipment is correctly specified to robustly carry out its operations to required OEE (Overall Equipment Effectiveness) levels and integrate with facility manufacturing systems
• Working closely with equipment suppliers to deliver all equipment to the required timescales
• Managing, developing and maintaining manufacturing technology business relationships with existing facilities and suppliers
• Technical project / program management
• Integrating activities with the Manufacturing Engineering and Operations teams to deliver the new facility strategy
Rolls-Royce has a broad customer base comprising 600 airlines, 4,000 corporate and utility aircraft and helicopter operators, 160 armed forces, more than 2,000 marine customers including 70 navies, and energy customers in 120 countries. Rolls-Royce is a technology leader, employing 38,000 people in offices, manufacturing and service facilities in 50 countries.
Rolls-Royce is a Military Friendly Employer.
Rolls-Royce is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and a barrier-free employment process.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Qualifications and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering and 8+ years of experience in materials and process development, or manufacturing or
• Master’s degree in Engineering and 6+ years of experience in materials and process development, or manufacturing
• 5+ years of engineering experience with machining processes including CAD/CAM
• Must be U.S. Citizen/Resident, Asylee, Refugee or have permanent/indefinite work authorization. No visa sponsorship for this position.
• Experience grinding ceramics is ideal, metal grinding experience is also valuable
• Aerospace experience including work within an ISO9001 / AS9100 quality system
• Mastery of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing
• Ability to manage projects across multiple disciplines through the full CMC manufacturing route to develop and deliver a capable manufacturing system
• Enthusiastic engineer with a passion, motivation and personal drive to succeed and a vision for modern manufacturing
• Knowledge of CMC or polymer matrix composite manufacturing processes is preferred, but the aptitude to learn rapidly will be a necessity
• Knowledge and experience of manufacturing of complex components in an aerospace environment
• At least 15 years of experience in materials and process development or a similar field is desired
• Experience developing advanced manufacturing technologies including control, data collection & statistical analysis and inspection practices
• High computer literacy and a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively at all levels on technical issues
How to ApplyPlease copy and paste the link below into your browser to apply. bit.ly/1lzGVgu
150 total views, 4 today
Apply for this Job
For help with the Job Action Bar above click here
Back to Listings