Full-Time Inspection Development Engineer
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
A world leader in industrial research and development, Corning staunchly believes in change. We thrive on seeking new opportunities to make a difference for mankind and bringing them to life.
Our dedicated scientists conduct their research with the highest integrity, finely tuned processes and superb skill. Breakthroughs occur when our researchers leverage existing technologies across product lines or come as the result of a profound moment of inspiration or even as an unexpected, experimental outcome. That is when research is at its most exciting.
We do everything possible to sustain our culture of innovation. We continually invest in research and development to provide our scientists with the resources they need. This has enabled our scientific community to develop a unique ability to solve complex problems and maintain a keen focus on things that really matter — technologies that improve our lives and change our world.
R&D is the foundation on which Corning’s history has been built, and we have no doubt it will lead us to future technological triumphs.
To know more about Corning’s Science and Technology division, please visit the R&D website at:
Scope of Position:
- Subject matter expert for metrology and inspection systems used in manufacturing.
- Works within a cross functional teams to develop and transfer new inspection systems and processes to manufacturing.
- Designs experiments and test plans to measure and validate system performance against industry standards and to quantify system capability.
- Leverages external suppliers and machine builders to support multiple medium to large, capital projects concurrently in support of division objectives.
- Applies sound engineering principles to solve complex non-contact measurement and inspection challenges.
- Defines scopes of work, competitively quotes, issues purchase orders, tracks supplier work to schedules, and transfers fully documented, manufacturing ready, systems to manufacturing.
- Initiates development activities first by identifying gaps in inspection technology, then by, collaborating with industry leading suppliers and Corning’s research teams to ensure that product quality and our production processes meet our customers and industry (GMP) regulatory needs.
- Provide manufacturing support on an as needed basis.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Be the division inspection subject matter expert and go-to person.
- Champion change management as it relates to inspection technology in manufacturing.
- Lead design reviews and participate in early stage inspection technology design reviews.
- Manage the transfer of early stage technology from development to manufacturing.
- Provide the catalyst and drive to close engineering and functional gaps in early stage technology transfers ensuring that the equipment meets all industry standards, expected business performance standards, and anticipated manufacturing reliability metrics for maintenance and uptime.
- Thoroughly document all inspection equipment processes starting with clear functional requirements, test procedures, qualification experiments, and calibration processes including benchmarking to known standards.
- Hands-on expert, leveraging others where appropriate to meet dynamic business goals.
- Ensure that all equipment, whether it be from research, development, or plant engineering , meets or exceeds all regulatory standards, has a clear demonstrated performance against industry standards, and is appropriately documented.
- Provides technical leadership and subject matter expertise to project engineers, plant engineers, and vendor teams.
- 25+% possible, including international
- On-site assignments at manufacturing operations worldwide
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
- 40 hours, Monday – Friday; weekend support as required to support objectives; off-hours meetings an e-mails as needed.
- B.S. – M.S. in Electrical Engineering, Physics, or equivalent.
- Minimum of 5 years of hands-on experience including demonstrated internships or coop experience
- Brings the “Can-do” attitude even when supporting vague or loosely defined objectives.
- Able to dissect complex assignments into manageable tasks separating the known and unknown and takes appropriate actions using data to minimize risk.
- Organized hard worker that acts with urgency.
- Uses appropriate analysis tool including PPA, DA, FMEA, and other more specific engineering tools to make the right decision with time permitting information.
- Ability to work within a cross functional multidiscipline team of varying skills and experience levels with a willingness to provide and receive direction.
- Multidiscipline engineer with experience implementing vision inspection systems in manufacturing.
- High level of ownership and commitment to drive problem resolution bringing the technological background and experience to solve problems without being rattled when things don’t go right or as planned.
- Incessant technical curiosity always expanding skills as technology evolves.
- Ability to troubleshoot complex electro-mechanical systems composed of vision systems, PLCs, PC’s, and manufacturing data collection system.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral)
- Excellent project management skills with the ability to plan upfront, develop a reasonable schedule, track progress to schedule, react appropriately to problems, raise issues or concerns to stakeholders as required to remove roadblocks, and meet the overall project goals on time.
- Ability to work in a diverse environment and across multiple cultural boundaries.
- Ability to multi-task and change direction and focus as needed supporting a new youthful business.
- Mobility: Willing to travel and temporarily reside at various worldwide locations as required.
- Vision system expertise
- Application if vision tools for the inspection of transparent “clear” glass.
- Piece dimensioning and metrology experience on glass.
- High speed inspection and part handling for inspection.
- Broad understanding of the application of vision inspection systems on glass using industrialized solutions for hot dirty environments with automated handling processes.
- Software skills in support of vision system applications and data management needs.
- Familiarity with Rockwell Automation, Mitsubishi, and/or Siemens software and PLC systems.
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
- Effective at communicating across varying payroll levels and different functional groups.
- Ability to define and organize development efforts of technical resources while managing project risks to schedule and cost.
- Confident presentation skills with the ability to tailor messages to the audience.
- Knows when and what to communicate throughout the life of a project with clear concise wording.
- Uses illustrations well to communicate across technical and cultural boundaries.
How to ApplyApply online at: https://careers.corning.com/psp/PDPAHRPRER/CNG_MYCAREER_SITE/PDGLHRPRER/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&JobOpeningId=174768&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1
98 total views, 1 today
Apply for this Job
For help with the Job Action Bar above click here
Back to Listings