Full-Time Controls Engineer
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
For almost three decades, Corning Environmental Technologies has developed creative, highly effective emission control solutions for mobile and stationary sources around the world. We joined the campaign for cleaner air in the early 1970s, when we developed high-performance, cost-effective cellular ceramic substrates for use in catalytic converters. Our invention has become the industry standard for more than 95% of today’s catalytic catalytic-converter equipped vehicles. Today, we hold more than 200 patents on emission-control products and processes used in gasoline, diesel and alternative-fuel vehicles, as well as stationary applications.
To know more about Corning Environmental Technologies, visit us at: http://www.corning.com/products_services/environmental_technologies.aspx
Scope of Position:
Serve as an electrical controls resource for division process improvement and capital expansion projects. Manage electrical and controls scope of assigned projects. Division level contact for manufacturing support of installed systems. Project focus will be implementation of PLC based automation in Corning’s manufacturing plants and processes.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Provide support and implement Allen Bradley machine / motion control systems, system integration, sensors, electro-mechanical devices and robotics
- Assigned to engineering project teams that are responsible to deliver robust, cost effective automation and process machine systems to Corning’s manufacturing plants and processes
- Work with project team to solve difficult automation problems, resolve project related issues, and develop fundamental understanding of technical / process requirements critical to system success
- Develop fundamental understanding of critical process and technical requirements, identify areas of technical risk in assigned projects, conduct prototype / feasibility testing to verify concept, and define and document system design specifications
- Participate in the development of control architectures, control functional specification, and system integration requirements that will satisfy process and manufacturing requirements
- Participate in the design layouts of both complete electrical controls systems and controls subsections. Review electrical / electro-mechanical drawing package for conformance to industry and Corning standards.
- Design, and / or direct resources, to develop fully integrated machine tools / motion control systems, robot cells, and safety systems
- Understand and implement hardware for the control and safety systems
- Interface with external system integrators and machine builders to successfully deliver fully integrated process equipment systems to Corning’s plants on-time, on-budget, and that satisfy performance measures
- Actively participate in all phases of the project including design, fabrication, off-line integration and testing, installation, production start-up support, training of plant personnel, and technology transfer
- Report on project activities on a pre-determined basis. Ensure results meet the customer’s requirements as well as applicable national and international equipment design standards.
- Individual must be capable of executing project assignments, in a team based environment, with minimal supervision
Role Within Group: Member of cross-functional project teams responsible for concept generation / certification, technology development, detail design / build, and start-up of automation and process machine systems in manufacturing
Travel Requirements: Travel to Environmental Technologies remote plant locations, including Blacksburg Virginia, Kaiserslautern Germany, Port Elizabeth South Africa and Shanghai China. 15% – 30% travel requirements
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: Normal Business Hours: 8:00AM – 5:00PM M-F
Expected to work hours required to successfully deliver project and support requirements.
Education and Experience:
- BS in Computer or Electrical Engineering
- 0-5 years electrical/controls experience
- Strong fundamental understanding of electrical design practices, machine / motion control systems, electro-mechanical systems, robotics, programming, and system integration
- Demonstrated skills in control systems design, programming, systems integration and closed loop control systems
- Familiar with designing, developing and delivering fully integrated machine and motion control, automation, and process machine systems to manufacturing
- Familiar with state of the art technologies in the following areas: control systems integration, controls architectures, PLC’s, motion control systems, electro-mechanical drive systems, robotics, part sensing, vision, risk assessment, and safety systems
- Ability to work in a team based environment and participate on a highly matrixed team
- Possesses an understanding of general mechanics and ability to apply it in troubleshooting and system design
- Sound problem solving and decision making processes and skills
- Highly motivated, results oriented, customer focused, with a high commitment level
- Experience in the design and programming of the Allen Bradley Controllogix system.
- Must be able to program in ladder logic or equivalent.
- 1st hand experience in the configuration and setup of the Controllogix system.
- Ability to design, configure and implement Controllogix communication protocol.
- Ability design and program motion control systems especially Kinetix 6000
- Some experience in the checkout and verification of electrical control panels.
- Manufacturing experience and ability to work in a manufacturing environment.
- Computer vision system experience.
- Fanuc robot programming skills
- Knowledge of glass and ceramic manufacturing
- Prior experience moving a new product or process from development into manufacturing
- Experience with programming manufacturing systems using higher level programming languages (C++ or C#, VisualBasic or VB.Net)
- Experience with the design and application of kiln and oven control systems.
- Honeywell experience preferred.
- Experience in advanced control strategies
- Knowledge of the rules and regulation relating to implementation and best practices in electrical
- system design and implementation
- National Electric Code
- NFPA 79 Specification
- NFPA 70e Specification
- ANSI and IEC electrical symbols
- Grounding and shielding of electrical systems
- Familiar with design, configure, and implement RSView as well as PanelView HMI’s
- Able to effectively leverage external machine builders and system integrators for detail design, build, and integration of later stages of system implementation
- Experience with the implementation and functions of PID Controls and control loop tuning
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
- Strong written and verbal communications and overall people skills
- Resolve conflicts with peers, customers, etc.
- Ability to easily work with different functional areas (development, engineering, manufacturing, trades, etc.)
How to ApplyApply online at: https://careers.corning.com/psp/PDPAHRPRER/CNG_MYCAREER_SITE/PDGLHRPRER/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&JobOpeningId=174802&SiteId=1&PostingSeq=1
115 total views, 1 today
Apply for this Job
For help with the Job Action Bar above click here
Back to Listings