Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning Display Technologies is a worldwide leader in glass substrates for active matrix liquid crystal displays (LCDs), also known as thin film transistor liquid crystal displays (TFT-LCDs). Our premium-quality substrates are used in notebook computers, flat-panel desktop monitors, LCD televisions, and portable electronic and communications devices
To know more about Corning Display Technologies worldwide, please visit us at: http://www.corning.com/products_services/display_technologies.aspx
Scope of Position:
Ensures that plant’s products meet customer requirements and that the plant has an up to date and capable Quality Control system, including all procedures, specifications and equipment required for the Quality Control function. Collaborates with the Commercial group to resolve customer complaints and to translate customer requirements into meaningful product specifications. Develops processes and systems to prevent quality problems.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
· Manage plant quality systems (including ISO documentation, records retention, etc.) and plant quality personnel to ensure that the plant’s products meet all customer requirements.
· Management of new business quality architectures, i.e. working with Willow Team and Vulcan team to define and implement new quality systems.
· Management of PEX (DMAIC and Lean); promotes organizational effectiveness through innovations and improvements in manufacturing and business processes using defined processes and tools.
· Responds quickly and effectively to customer complaints and issues. Serves as the customer advocate in the plant.
· Collaborates with plant and division innovation teams to evaluate new product needs and translate them to meaningful plant specifications. Identifies and defines all required measurement protocols.
· Works with process and product improvement teams regarding key product attributes to develop appropriate control strategies and feedback loops to make sure product attributes perform as expected.
· Continuously improves quality function spending to help the plant lower its costs.
· Manages department spending and budgets.
· Determines yield and/or financial impact of proposed changes in product specifications.
· Leads project teams to resolve and permanently fix customer complaints.
· Perform process capability analysis as needed.
· Provide statistical design and analysis services to internal plant departments.
· Manages the analytical laboratory for the plant.
· Oversees all customer quality audits of the plant. Leads corrective action teams to resolve audit deficiencies.
· Plant Quality Manager is a staff position and reports to the Plant Manager
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 40+ hours per week with occasional morning and evening conference calls. This role is a member of the Plants weekend team.
Travel Requirements: Occasional business trips internationally and to Corning, NY, based on business needs.
Required to sign a Covenant Not to Compete
Required Education and Experience:
· Bachelor of Science or equivalent technical degree.
· Successful and proven supervisory, team leader and/or section supervisor experience in a manufacturing plant.
· Performance Excellence Certified Green Belt or Six Sigma level or equivlant.
· Experience with data collection and data analysis software and techniques, including Excel, MiniTab, Pi, Access, etc.
· Excellent leadership skills, ability to work at all levels of the organization, continuously mentor, coach or teach.
· Critical decision making skills, manage to SOP, trouble shoot and act under pressure.
· Understands key financial measures of manufacturing success and effectiveness.
· Ability to drive to root cause analysis and direct Engineering solutions.
· Ability to understand and own multiple areas in the plant in order to prioritize and assign work and resources.
· Ability to manage multiple tasks at once.
· Performance Excellence Black Belt.
· Prior union experience.
· Engineering supervision.
· ASQC (American Society of Quality Control) certification (or equivalent).
· Member of Innovation project team or new products introduction team.
· AME courses from Corning.
· Active Listener.
· Demonstrates technical curiosity by asking questions and seeking deeper understanding of new technology or in areas of technical gaps.
· Strong Interpersonal skills.
· Act Quickly and Decisively.
· Ability to communicate in all directions effectively.
· Genuine desire to see others succeed.
Understands and can explain to others how the latest technology can be applied to the achievement of the Unit/Division goals, and seeks and embraces new technology.