Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning’s history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning's Manufacturing, Technology and Engineering division (MTE) is recognized as the leader in engineering excellence & innovative manufacturing technologies by providing diverse skills to Corning’s existing & emerging businesses.
We anticipate & provide timely, valued, leading edge manufacturing technologies and engineering expertise. We partner with Corning’s businesses and the Science & Technology division. Together we create and sustain Corning’s manufacturing as a differential advantage.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
Develop and implement innovative control system design to solve significant processing and material handling opportunities for Corning Incorporated. Focus will be on commissioning and integrating new equipment into batching, melting, draw, extruding, firing, finishing, and material handling.
Primary responsibilities include:
· Designing and integrating process and automation controls into robust manufacturing environment.
· Developing middleware capability in manufacturing systems for seamless part tracking and data analysis from PLC to the RDB.
· Coordination with project managers on the development and implementation of control projects to insure state-of-the-art manufacturing capacity.
· Dramatically advance productivity gains through control hardware / software design and implementations.
· Collecting and interpreting control project needs from a variety of sources
· Development and deploy process and automation control.
· Development of Middleware data connectivity systems.
· Expanding the Corning Incorporated manufacturing process knowledge base
· Development and deployment of integrated control system to control stability of thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, mechanical, motion, chemical, robotics, power, molecular structure, multi-state physics, and electromechanical systems.
· Testing validity of solutions that use traditional and advanced control.
· Transferring control engineering design knowledge to operations by providing the tools, training, information and other essential skills to the Plant Engineers.
· Preparing, presenting and publishing technical papers in public forums to advance personal technical reputation and Corning Incorporated
Travel Requirements: Must be able / willing to travel up to 50% of the time - international and domestic travel involved.
Required Education: BS in Electrical Engineering required. Advanced Electrical Engineering degree preferred.
Required Years and Area of Experience: 10 year minimum
· PLC and IEC base programming structure including ladder logic, function blocks, structured text, and sequential flowchart.
· Experience with PID and advanced control implementation.
· Experience with Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Hyper-V, UNIX, Android.
· Experience with Object Oriented Languages C#, XAML (WPF), ADO.NET, ASP.NET, JAVA, LINQ, WPF, VBScript.
· Realtime Analysis – Simulink and MATLAB.
· Communications - EthernetIP, OPC, DeviceNet, CANBUS, XCP, TCP/UDP, WCF, ODATA, Web Services (SOAP), XML, custom.
· Databases SQL Server (all), Oracle 9i-10g, Sybase, db4o.
· Problem solving skills.
· Project management/leadership.
· Operational skills to execute hands-on control solutions & calibration procedures.
· Organized, rigorous, independent.
· Strong experimental, instrumentation, and control skills to insure data is valid and traceable.
· Data analysis skills to insure data is correct at the collection point.
· Good teamwork skills including knowledge transfer and communication.
· Applies state of the art experimental or theoretical and interpretive skills to technical problems.
· Functions as a project leader to engineer equipment and process solutions.
· Proposes ideas, solutions, and projects.
· Functions as a technical leader.
· Organizes, leads, and carries out work on projects of significant scale, complexity, or priority.
· Consults as an established expert
· Demonstrate and publish an original or innovative idea or other essential contribution, such as an improved method, instrument or technique, or process equipment innovation.
· Work experience in a matrix organization
· Scheduling and planning skills
· Rigor in experimental execution and analysis
· Experience with distributed control and I/O