Air Products and Chemicals, Inc., (NYSE:APD) a Fortune 500 manufacturer of industrial gases and chemicals, has an immediate opening for a Commercial Technology Specialist / Glass & Minerals Segment at our Corporate Headquarters in Allentown, Pennsylvania.
The Glass team at Air Products has led the introduction of oxy-fuel and other industrial gas based applications technologies into the Glass and the Mineral Products industries. We are seeking a technical sales engineer who is interested in continuing our market leadership with existing application technologies as well as pioneering new application solutions for our customers in these industries. Understanding customer processes and the application of industrial gas application technologies to improve operations are key to success in this position.
This specialist is responsible for a wide variety of activities associated with technical support and sales efforts in the Glass and Mineral Products industries. The specialist will be involved with prospects from initial contact, and work to create longstanding relationships that establish trust with these customer contacts - long after successfully completing the initially sold installation. Responsibilities include: prospecting for new customers; technical sales of industrial gases, application technology, equipment, services; ongoing customer support; creating and delivering presentations and proposals. This individual will work with several other functional teams within Air Products to accomplish the highest possible level of quality service to our customers.
The position requires ~30-50% travel to customer sites located in North America. The successful candidate will have a blend of technical, operational, and commercial skills.
• Safety – ensure safe work practices observed at start-ups
• Profitably grow Air Products business in the Glass and Minerals industries through technology applications, technology development, and commercialization
• Technical sales of gases, applications equipment, and services to the Glass and Minerals Products industries by advising/influencing customer corporate and production management teams about improvements in operations possible with application of industrial gas technologies
• Contact customers/prospects, create presentations and proposals, and work with Air Products liquid-bulk and on-site sales teams to sell industrial gases (oxygen, nitrogen, hydrogen, argon, silane, etc.) and on-site generating plants that produce these products
• Install and correct operational issues with equipment – must be willing to perform hands-on work at customer site (for example installing oxy-fuel burners). Troubleshoot process issues and implement corrective actions
• Perform audit/inspection of customer production processes
• Provide technical leadership in process optimization, using knowledge of application technologies, process controls, process data collection, and process modeling systems. Use these skills to addressing improvements in process efficiency, product quality, and the cost of poor quality for customer facilities
• Interact with customer key manufacturing contacts - melting supervisors, process engineers and other production personnel to investigate process problems and improve performance of application technology design and or performance of individual installations
• Serve as customer contractor representative during process equipment start-ups - responsible for directing and conducting assigned tasks ensuring that all safety procedures are followed
• Provide input to Air Products’ Research & Development Advanced Technology group for new offering development
• Established good reputation and rapport with peers in the industry
Qualifications and Skills:
• Bachelor's Degree in Ceramic, Materials, or Chemical Engineering; additional Business degree is a plus
• > 5 years hands-on operational experience in large-scale manufacturing plants – including a sound understanding of starting up and operating processes for melting products
• Strong knowledge of furnace/kiln design, construction, associated combustion systems, refractory products, and fundamental understanding of process control systems and control equipment
• Must have mechanical and electrical aptitude
• Analytical problem solving skills to analyze or troubleshoot customer process changes
• Ability to plan, organize, and effectively manage multiple concurrent projects
• Ability to accomplish goals in team based environment
• Strong leadership skills
• Computer software proficiency (Microsoft Office Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Word)
• Glass manufacturing industry experience with in-depth melting operations knowledge is preferred
• Experience operating oxy-fuel combustion systems and oxy-fuel burner technologies is preferred
Additional Consideration Given To Those With:
• Technical degree in ceramics/glass and with strong manufacturing experience
• More than 5 years of process chemistry or process engineering experience in a continuous manufacturing environment
• Strong knowledge of target customer base operations
• Experience in combustion, heat transfer, and/or process engineering
• Experience commercializing new technologies
• Experience with environmental compliance of a manufacturing facility
• Experience with SAP / ERP
To apply for this position, please visit the Air Products Career Center. Click on the link Search job openings from the left navigation bar. You can apply specifically to Job Req #11354BR. If you are a current Air Products employee, please apply via APOnline by clicking on Online Applications, then selecting Career Center. For more information, visit www.airproducts.com.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those applicants who are being considered for an interview, or are currently employed by Air Products, will be contacted.
Air Products is an equal opportunity employer (M/F/D/V) where diversity matters.